Saturday 23 February 2008

Hindi movies, kebabs and beer

Well, it finally happened. It was inevitable I guess. For the first time since my brother came to Denmark, (or so he claims)we went out together to do our own thing. And what did we do? We went to see a Hindi movie... In a theatre in Copenhagen... Ahh, the reason I love globalization.

Which movie? Jodhaa-Akbar, Ashutosh Gowariker's latest offering. The movie is alright, the acting good, the background score uninspiring but some of the songs are truly wonderful. The best part of the movie though is the dialogues. I love Urdu, the way it sounds, the way it rolls off your tongue, the sheer elegance and that is why the dialouges of this movie were so cool. Another awesome part was the sheer eye-candy provided by Hrithik Roshan. I am not really a fan of his. In fact, until recently I used to call him a "chusa-hua aam" (i.e. half sucked mango.. Man, that really doesn't sound good when you translate it) but in Jodhaa Akbar, he really looks regal, he looks like a Jahapanah character. Very majestic and his whole bearing and way of carrying himself is very noble too.Anyways, after that Bhaiya and I went for Kebabs and Beer, a meal that Bhaiya holds very close to his heart obviously because I got a monologue recorded on my phone about its benefits. And it was great fun. Sure, he talked about his girlfriend a lot. But still it was fun. We had kebabs, biryani and beer. Heaven..

This one day adventure made me realize how Indian I am. OK. I know what you are thinking - it really isn't Indian to drink beer and eat kebabs. But after watching a Hindi movie on the big screen I realize how much I miss it. The past few days I have had a Bollywood fetish. I have been watching only Hindi movies, my iTunes is stuck on Hindi playlists and my head is constantly humming Jashn-e-Bahaara. Jashn-e-Bahaara is one of the songs from Jodhaa Akbar, it is in Urdu and it is so poetic that any listener just melts when one hears it. It makes me want to learn the language and become a poet.

No comments: