Monday 12 February 2007

Red Wine and Chocolate

I'd like to dedicate this entry to my greatest downfall of all - food. Food is like something so sacred, so hallowed. When I was young, my parents would guilt me into eating my vegetables by reminding me that their were so many children out there in the world who didn't have any food at all. That point of view is still around in my head. I suppose its true. One shouldn't waste something so precious, but then when have humans been acknowledged for their wisdom. We are a notoriously foolish species.

It is hard to describe the sensation of taste. How can one begin? I once saw in a film starring Meg Ryan and Nicolas Cage (I think it was City of Angels) where Nicolas Cage is an angel and he asks Meg Ryan to tell him what a pear tastes like. And that notion greatly appeals to me. We never seem to describe that sense enough.

If I had to describe chocolate, how would I? If I had to describe what it tasted like.. When you taste it, you are immediately taken by the bite it has. It has a certain zing to it, not as in a lemon zing, but a more subtle one. One filled with warmth, and sweetness. Atleast that is what I think.

Lately, I have been greatly taken by the idea of a nice red wine and some nice dark chocolate. There's a pick-me-up for any depressed soul. I am definitely not an expert on red wines though I wouldn't mind learning. Atleast that is one thing that has enough people to describe it - the typical stereotype of spitting, swirling snobs, hoity-toity people. However, wine is the common man's drink and always has been.

No comments: