Thursday 22 February 2007

Innocent Intelligence

I just re-read one of my favourite parts in Vikram Seth's novel, 'A Suitable Boy' and came across a line about how the most lovable thing about intelligent men is their obtuseness and abstracted behaviour. I found this so true.

I know a lot of smart guys. In fact, I know so many that it is a problem. My brother is one, my best friend is one, my uncle is one and so on. Quite recently the best example I saw of an obtusely smart gentleman was my Macroeconomics professor. He spends ages just re-checking his notes when he is taking class that all his lessons are puntucated with these huge awkward gaps and only the noise of shuffling papers. And then, of course, the other most adorable trait of such people is that they are so easily distracted by something that fascinates them. As long as it is worthy of their attention, they are captivated by it and babble incoherently in some form of intelligence speak that no one else can understand.

The best part about such people is that, usually they seem to be the most innocent and calm in the face of well, ignorance. If you tell them that they don't know what they are talking about, they will patiently listen to your point of vies and then rally against you in the friendliest possible way. The fact of the matter is that they are the most genuine people you will ever find.

No comments: