Sunday 8 July 2007

Things aren't exactly ooh-jah-cum-spiff, old boy...

What ho! old bean...

Lately, I have found solace from my work in my wonderful old favourite novels of P.G. Wodehouse. And if that isn't enough childhood reminiscing, I have also had recent cravings for all the old British boarding school books we used to read as kids - Mallory Towers, St. Clare's and even Harry Potter. In fact, my whole childhood, I always wondered why my mother never got me any scones home for tea at 4, why we never played lacrosse, why I never got treacle pudding, and why I had to bathe in the mornings instead of before bed time.

But coming back to Wodehouse. Good old Jeeves and Wooster... I wish I had a Jeeves in my life - a gentleman's personal gentleman to clean up the mess of my life. Unfortunately, I am not a gentleman (though I might be as chivalrous as one sometimes). But Wooster and I do have a lot in common. For example, I, too, am a bumbling idiot. All this make the stories really come alive when I read them.

And of course, how can I forget darling Lord Emsworth, one of the most obtuse and lovable old literary characters ever created. I remember the first Wodehouse story I ever read was an Emsworth where he shoots his impossible, incorrigible secretary Rupert Baxter in the posterior with his grandson George's airgun. After reading something that hilarious, you would have to be inhuman to not be hooked. I feel bad for poor old George though. They tried to dump him with a tutor (that too, a tutor in the terrible devilish human form of Rupert Baxter) in the middle of the summer holidays.

Another situation I can relate to considering the fact that I am in it right now. I have summer holidays right now but it sure doesn't feel like it. I have been doing more work than in actual school days. This is not good. The sanctity of aimless mind wandering that occurs during the summer holidays will be lost. If this is not stopped, the future of the youth might be doomed. Oh no! And this is why things aren't exactly 'ooh-jah-cum-spiff', old boy...

No comments: